Friday, December 27, 2013

I can’t say have been off the music scene because while I was away, I have done 148 collaborations Daddy fresh


daddy fresh



Innocent Michael Onyemuwa popularly known as “Daddy Fresh” who started his career some 20 years ago is one of the first breakout acts from the slums of Ajegungle asides Daddy Showkey, Baba Fryo etc. His hit record “Eleru gbe eru re” gained him fans all over Nigeria, but a few years down the line he disappeared from the music scene only resurfacing recently.

Hiphopworld Online had a chat with Fresh and he talked about his absence, relationship with Daddy Showkey, moving out of Ajegunle and his upcoming album. Here are excerpts from the interview;
What brought about the name Daddy fresh?
Lol, the name actually came from mine friends back in school then, they loved my voice and they were always saying I have a fresh voice any time I sing, that was how I came about the name. “Daddy Fresh”.
You’ve been off the music radar for a while now, what have you been up to?
Well, I can’t say have been off the music scene because while I was away, I have done 148 collaborations with different upcoming artiste and as well as famous artiste 2face. The song I did with 2face will be out before the end of 2013
What is new about Daddy fresh?
Yeah, my new album will be coming out early next year 2014.

The cover art for his new EP titled 'Don't say goodbye'

What will say about music in the 90’s and the presently?
One of the things that is missing in the music industry is the message, I believe music is a weapon to pass message to the government and to enlighten the public. I give a big kudos to our producers, they are doing a great job just that this generation of artiste needs to pass message in their style of music. The music bodies that should make sure that there is structure are not doing their work as expected.
Why did you move out of Ajegunle after staying there for so long?
I’m very grateful to God for my life,I have lived in Ajegunle for more than 30yrs, schooled here, met some friends here, we formed a band called ‘Pretty boiz’, released our debut album here and it was in this same neighborhood that I went solo, had my own release, have my kids and other good things.
Now God has re-branded my career totally and we decided to move on, to another locality, so i’m now happy residing in Okota,but that will not make me to forget Ajegunle for life,I’m still part of here
What is your relationship with daddy showkey?
Showkey, father u turn and I were among those who rocked dance hall in the 90’s. Daddy Showkey is a good friend though everyone has gone there different ways.
Are you presently signed to any record label?
No, I am not signed to any record label.
Tell us about your Ep “don’t say goodbye”
My album “don’t say goodbye” came out April 2013 having 5 different tracks having 2 instrumentals in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment