Tuesday, June 10, 2014


Tiwa Savage talks about recent sultry music video


Tiwa Savage
Tiwa Savage recently won the Best Female Artist in the MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMA), which was held in Durban, South Africa. While in SA, she was featured in a newspaperu called, Times Live, and she discussed on her recent music Video Wanted.

Tiwa is seen making sultry dance moves that could be related to the likes of Beyonce, Kelly Rowland etc. Due to the moves on the video, amongst others, Tiwa had been criticised by the public for not being a good role model to young women in Africa.
She said in the aforesaid newspaper:
“[Being sexual] is something we’re comfortable with behind closed doors but very uncomfortable with in public,” she said. “But, fortunately, as artists we have the platform to do things that a lot of people might not be able to do. I felt like I was at a stage in my life at which I was very comfortable in my skin. “I’d worked on my body and I wanted to do a video that was pushing the envelope – that would have people talking and open up a conversation.”
Khloe Kardashian and Tiwa Savage
Khloe Kardashian and Tiwa Savage in Durban, SA for the MAMA
Tiwa clearly believes the video wasn’t shot for kids.
“I feel that while being a role model I also need to explore my life as a woman and target the adult market. There are a lot of people who love the video and are inspired. You learn you can’t please everyone, so you do what feels right at the time.”

“A lot of times you look at an artist and you think what they do on stage is their lifestyle, but just because we portray a certain thing on stage doesn’t mean when we get off the stage we sleep with every guy we see,” she said. “It’s just a persona. I don’t think anyone can look at my life and see any scandal.
“That’s what parents should be teaching their children. Whether Tiwa Savage does it or not, they will have access to certain things that are bad, so we need to teach them how to decide between good and bad.”
What do you think of the video? Do you think Tiwa needs to conform to the culture norms, or is she free to express herself?
Here’s the video for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet:


No comments:

Post a Comment