Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pusha T and Kendrick Lamar on the Same Mission

The G.O.O.D. Music rapper talks "pressure" delivering another "album of the year."

Pusha T Talks King Push and Avoiding the Sophomore Album Jinx

With the long-awaited release of his solo debut, My Name Is My Name, successfully behind him, Pusha T is prepping to release another “album of the year.” But it's no easy task. As he works on his sophomore effort, King Push, he finds himself relating to that kind of pressure that Kendrick Lamar's under.

“Kendrick is my man, I like him a lot. … He had a great first album and I think he can do it again,” Pusha toldBET.com right before Team ATL representing the Atlanta Entertainment Basketball League took home the title at the Bacardi Flavored Rum sponsored Entertainers Basketball Classic South Beach Invitational in Miami last Sunday (Aug. 17). Pusha was on hand as the Bacardi Flavor Ambassador, co-signing basketball-inspired infusions like "Half-Court," a combination of iced-tea, lemonade and his favorite flavored rum, Bacardi Limon.
As for his own sophomore effort, "Me personally, I know the elements that I missed on My Name Is My Name. There were minimal hooks and even down to the album cover, it was minimal. But I felt like it was needed in the terms of rap, in terms of the staple that I wanted to be in rap because I felt like no one was rapping."
Now, he's bringing back more Pharrell, who was a major collaborator with Pusha and his brother Maliceduring their early Clipse days. Skateboard P, however, only produced two songs on Pusha's debut. This time around, "I would say I am well into like six strong songs [with Pharrell]," Pusha said. "But there's no telling what will stick.”
While the album is not too far from being released, Push gave no hints on a release date. He did warn, however, "You will still get the same brash and abrasive Pusha on any record you are going to hear."
Check the video below to see Pusha's thoughts on Lil Wayne and Drake's "Grindin" and more about his plans for his next album.

No comments:

Post a Comment