Saturday, September 20, 2014

AYO ADESANYA: PEOPLE GET CONFUSED THAT I BLEACHED MY SKIN


                                  Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 8.55.54 AM


I am Ayo Adesanya. I am an actress.
Journey into acting..........

I started acting right from primary school. Then, the Nigerian Television Authority used to bring their cameras to our school and we would act Shakespeare plays. I also took part in drama competitions. I attended St. Ann’s, Ibadan, where I also acted. I read Communication Arts at the University of Ibadan. In 1996, after my national youth service, I worked in a company at Agege, Lagos, and was living in Lekki. After a year, I got to the office late and was suspended. I seized the opportunity and went to African Independent Television for an audition.  There, I met someone who said he was going for auditioning. From there, I went to Zeb Ejiro’s office. I left  for Opa Williams’ office, where I was auditioned for ‘Onome’. After a few takes in some films, I found myself in Tunji Bamishigbin’s soap, Palace.
No other passion
I love acting! I don’t see myself doing something else. I can diversify but I will always continue to act because it is my world. There are some things you cannot be in real life but you can act it out. I have acted for 19 years and I can tell you that some people treat actors like gods! It has been fun and I give God the glory.
Challenges
They are too numerous to mention. I have been on some locations where we were chased out when our time was up. With production, it could be crazy  especially if the days have been pencilled down.  There was a time my son was very ill and as the main actor, I was expected on set. The location was in Ogun State and I had to leave my son with my mother. I cried but the job had to be done. As a producer, there are days you experience hell with some members of the cast and other production challenges. I still enjoy everything.
Marriage
I was never married to Goriola Hassan. We lived together and had a child. He is nine years old now. Reconciliation? I don’t want to talk about that. I have moved on and I guess he has moved on too.
Actresses and failed marriages
It is not only actresses, other professionals experience failed marriages too. I just feel you shouldn’t marry someone in the same field because it has a lot of challenges. When you are together, you do the same thing and then the home suffers for it.
Fans
I think some fans just get it mixed up. Some see you on television and have a crush on you. They see you, like something about you and they want it. Really, I don’t blame them and I have learnt to handle both the good and bad. No actor can do without fans, they make us and we appreciate them.
Regrets
None. I try not to go back on things in the past. That is what makes me unique. I do things my own way and I am in my world. I don’t call it regret, I have done things that I felt that I should have done the other way but at the end of the day, God makes me see that, even if you had done it that way, you could still come this way.
Inspiration
Everything inspires me— music, movies and nature. I watch Nigerian movies a lot and listen to lots of music. I learn from newspapers. Also, I get inspired by my fans too, especially when I upload things on my Instagram page. As a Christian, the word of God also inspires me a lot.
Fashion
I am a bit on the big side and I wear what fits me. I know I have good legs and  show them off. I find my legs sexy and I wear things that show them off too. I wear miniskirts and shorts when necessary.
You were a year older last month, how has the journey been so far?
I am just grateful to God, I feel blessed looking back at everything and I am sincerely grateful.
You have not been as prominent in the industry as before, what have you been up to?
These days I do more of Yoruba films and soap operas so I wonder why people say that I am not as prominent as I used to be. I just finished shooting Superstory which would be aired very soon. I do quite a number of things; I am still working very hard.
Has motherhood changed your fashion style in any way?
I don’t think it has in any way. For me, I use fashion to express the kind of person that I am. I wear things according to the way I feel and how I want to be seen at a particular time and that is how I dress. Motherhood has not affected me in any way and even if I wanted it to, my work would not allow that. The kind of job I do is showbiz and fashion goes with it. I must be at the top of my game all the time. Motherhood has not affected me one bit.
What influences your style?
I get inspired by a lot of things, what I see, hear and I also make things to suit me because I am on the big side.
Often times, plus size ladies complain that they do not get clothes they like and the market does not cater for them, do you face such challenge?
To make things easier, if you do not get what you want ‘ready-made,’ then you can make it yourself and it would still look lovely on you. Because of my job, most times we have to make our costumes, most of the things we wear on set are ours and that is where the bulk of our money goes to. Anytime I go out and see what I like, I buy it; even if I don’t wear it out, I could need it for a movie. I don’t necessarily go out to shop because whenever I see what I like, I buy it. Most times, I make my clothes because I have some good tailors that make them for me. People also make clothes and give me to wear.
What kind of clothes are you most comfortable in?
I am a very simple person and I love to be very simple in my dressing. I dress up on set a lot and wear heavy make-up. The truth is I am different from the person people see on the television. In real life, I do not like make-up; I go for days without applying make-up and when I go out, people do not recognise me till I talk. Make-up is strange to me. I am a very simple person and because I dress-up on set a lot, doing the same thing in reality can be tiring. Sometimes we do so many things to our face on set that by the time we get home in the evening, the face is crying for help and trying to breathe. I love simplicity because it makes me normal and gives my life a balan
What is your take on people that bleach their skin?
Some people are naturally fair and the weather in Nigeria is terrible, it is just recently that we have been experiencing cool weather. The sun is usually very hot and it is bad for the skin. For someone like me, a lot of people are usually confused when they see my picture. They are quick to assume things and they do not know me personally. When you see people in pictures, don’t be too quick to judge, do you know how many lights are focused on the person while taking the picture? Because of the weather in this country, there are some lotions people use to enhance their skin and make it softer. There are some lotions that are not harmful but people have some misconception. The weather is very bad and it can affect one’s skin if care is not taken. I have friends that are fair in complexion and I know what they go through to maintain their complexion. If you do not maintain it, it would appear as if your skin is dirty. I don’t believe people should bleach personally.
So you don’t bleach your skin?
No I do not bleach my skin. When you see somebody that bleaches, you will know. I have sun burns and it is not a hidden thing. I have tried a lot of things to make it fade away but it has refused and I have come to terms with it. I would never bleach my skin, a lot of people get confused about it but I don’t get bothered. I don’t owe anybody an explanation but when you meet me in person, you can always make up your mind.
Some people believe that fair skinned women have an advantage over dark skinned women, do you agree with that?
I don’t agree with that. I have dark skinned friends that are very pretty. People have preferences, while some like fair skinned people, others can’t stand them. I don’t think a person’s skin colour should determine anything but their personality.
What part of your body do you consider to be your best asset?
I think it is my face that makes me unique. People have other opinion because they refer to other parts of my anatomy but for me, I just believe it is my eyes and lips.
What is your favourite hair style?
Everything has to do with my job; I could do three different hairstyles in a week. I can wear 10 different wigs in a day. I think when I do centre parting, or I have an afro or any big hairstyle, it makes me look good. I had done virtually everything and just recently, I did dreadlocks with my real hair, that’s the style I did for my birthday.
You have a tattoo on your arm, what is its significance?
I just have one and it is the one on my arm. It doesn’t really mean anything and I had it when I had my baby. I did it because of my baby; I just wanted to have something to remind me of my son.
What is your fashion weakness?
I love bags, shoes and perfumes. Among the three, I think I love fragrances the most and I have quite a number of perfumes in my closet as we speak.
What is the fashion item you cannot leave home without?
I love to smell really nice so I doubt I would leave home without spraying some perfume.
What is the most expensive fashion item you own?
Asides my jewellery, I would say it is a bag I bought not too long ago. I cannot say the price but it was quite expensive.
Is your son as fashionable as you are?
My son is 10 years old and he already has a mind of his own when it comes to fashion. I think he is going to be a hot fashionista because he mixes his colours himself. He also picks his clothes himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment